Saturday 20 July 2013

Single day versus multi-day (Hannah)

Last year was all about training for the Transalpine. So our focus was on getting to a place where we could get up day after day and run the marathon distance. This year I'm training for a 100k race (the RAT) and so my training focus during this peak period is a bit different. At the moment it's all about massive days on Saturday - the sort of days that almost make ironman training sessions look short!

And this, combined with my recent trips to Chamonix with the Trail Running Team and the Isle of Wight with Brett and my bros, has caused me to compare single and multi-day racing / training and think about what I prefer.

What I've realised is that I prefer multi-day. And that it doesn't have to be about doing a race. I enjoy the journey, the adventure and the camaraderie. I enjoy the fact that the adventure is spread over several days and that at the end of each we can reflect on the day that's gone as well as plan for and look forward to the next.   Recently, I've found my Saturday runs getting longer and longer to the point where they're not much fun anymore, especially given all the hot weather we've had recently (not that I'm complaining!).

At the extreme end of the multi-day concept is Jez Bragg's journey that took him the length of New Zealand. What he did earlier this year really inspires me. The places he saw, the people he met, the wealth of experiences he built up. But there are more accessible adventures closer to home and I've found myself building a list of these - the GR20, Offa's Dyke, the Southwest Coastal Footpath, Hadrian's Wall, the Welsh Castles relay route,..... Suffice to say that there's enough I want to do to keep me going for some time. And I want to spread it over a few days and savour the experience rather than rushing to do it in one go and pushing myself into a very dark hole.

So I guess this is all a useful learning and will help me know how to plan future seasons to make sure I'm enjoying myself as much as possible. One thing's for sure - it certainly doesn't mean I'll be slacking off,  especially given the list I've now committed to "paper" above! Here's to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment